Collection and use of personal data
Personal data is data that can be used to identify or contact a person.
These are some examples of the categories of personal data that may be collected by E21 and the purposes for which we may process this data:
What personal data is collected
When you create an E21 ID, apply for business credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for an E21 workshop, connect to our services, contact E21 (also via social networks) or participate in an online survey, different data may be collected, such as your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location, credit card data or profile information when contact is made via social networks.
When you share content with your friends, family, suppliers, and customers through E21 products, submit products, or invite others to participate in E21 forums or services, E21 may collect the information you provide about those individuals, such as their name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. E21 will use this information to complete your orders, provide you with the appropriate product or service, or for anti-fraud purposes.
In certain jurisdictions, you may be required to provide government-issued identification in very specific circumstances, such as when you set up a machine account and activate your device, to extend commercial credit, to manage reservations, or as required by law.
How we use your personal data
- The personal data we collect allows us to keep you informed about the latest E21 products, available software updates and upcoming events. If you do not wish to be part of the distribution list, you can unsubscribe at any time by updating your preferences.
- We also use personal data to help us create, develop, manage, deliver and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and to prevent loss and fraud. We may also use your personal information for network and account security purposes, such as protecting our services for the benefit of all our users and pre-screening or reviewing uploaded content for potential illegal content, including child sexual exploitation material. If we use your information for anti-fraud purposes, it will be because of a certain conduct detected in an online transaction with E21. We limit the use of data for anti-fraud purposes to what is strictly necessary and within our legitimate interests to protect our customers and services. In certain online transactions, we may also validate the information you have provided to us through our publicly accessible sources.
- Your personal information, including your date of birth, may be used to verify identity, assist in identifying users, and determine appropriate services. For example, your date of birth may be used to determine the age of E21 account holders.
- We may occasionally use your personal information to send you important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms and policies. You may not opt-out of receiving these communications, as they contain information important to your relationship with E21.
- Your personal information may also be used for internal purposes (including auditing, data analysis and research) to improve E21’s products, services and customer communications.
- If you enter a sweepstakes, contest or promotion, the information you provide may be used to administer these programs.
- If you apply for a position with E21 or we receive your information in connection with a potential position with E21, we may use your information to evaluate your application and contact you. If you are a candidate, you will receive more information about how E21 handles personal information at the time of application.
Source of information when we do not get your data directly from you
We may have received your personal information from others if they have shared content with you through E21 products, sent you products or gift certificates, or invited you to participate in E21 forums or services. We may also validate the information you provide when you create an E21 ID with a third party for security reasons and to prevent fraud.
If you are a potential candidate for a position with E21, we may have received your personal information from third parties, such as recruitment agencies or external websites. We will use the personal information we receive to contact you about a potential opportunity or in evaluating your application. If you have not directly provided us with your personal information, we will inform you of the source of the data when we first contact you regarding your application. If the purpose is research and development, we may use data sets such as those containing images, voices or other data that could be linked to an identifiable person. In obtaining these data sets, we follow the applicable law of the jurisdiction in which the data sets are located. When we use these datasets for research and development purposes, we do not attempt to identify the individuals in the datasets.
Collection and use of non-personal data
We also collect data in such a way that it is not possible to associate it, on its own, directly with a particular person. We may collect, process, transfer and disclose non-personal data for any purpose. Here are some examples of the categories of non-personal data we may collect and the possible uses we may make of it:
- We may collect data such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referring URL, location and time zone in which an E21 product is used, to better understand customer behavior and to improve products, services and advertising.
- We may collect and store details about how you use the services, including search queries. This information may be used to improve the relevance of the results provided by our services. Except in limited cases where we must ensure the quality of our services on the Internet, this data will not be associated with your IP address.
- With your explicit consent, we may collect information about how you use your device and applications to help developers improve their applications.
- If non-personal data is combined with personal data, the combined data will be treated as personal data as long as it remains combined.
Cookies and other technologies
Ads provided by E21’s advertising platform may appear in E21 News and in our social network accounts. You may still see ads, depending on the context, such as the queries you make or the channel you read. On third-party applications, you may see ads based on other information.
As is true of most Internet services, certain information is automatically collected and stored in log files. This data includes IP addresses, browser type and language, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring and exiting web pages and applications, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this data to understand and analyze trends, administer the site, obtain information about user behavior on the site and improve our products and services, as well as to gather demographic data about our users in general. E21 may use this data for marketing and advertising services.
In some of our email messages, we use a “click-through URL” linked to the content of E21’s website. When customers click on one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page within our website. We track clicks to determine interests in specific topics and to evaluate the effectiveness of our customer communications. If you prefer not to be tracked, please do not click on text or graphic links included in e-mail messages. Invisible pixels allow us to send emails in a customer-readable format and to know if the email has been opened. This data can be used to reduce or eliminate messages sent to customers.
Disclosure to third parties
From time to time, E21 may provide certain personal information to third parties, to offer or improve our products and services, including requested deliveries of products or to help E21 market products to the end customer. In such cases, we require the third party to handle that information in accordance with applicable law. E21 does not sell personal information and it will not be shared with any third party for its own marketing purposes. For example, when you purchase a DOSAT and activate it, you are authorizing E21 to exchange the information you provide during the activation process to carry out the service, including information about the device. If your request for service is approved, your account will be governed by E21’s respective privacy policies.
E21 shares personal data with companies that are engaged, among other activities, in providing data processing services, granting credit, handling customer orders, offering products, managing and improving customer data, providing customer services, analyzing your interest in products and services and conducting customer surveys or satisfaction levels. These companies are obliged to protect your data and may be located in any of the countries in which E21 operates.
Other third parties
E21 may be required to disclose your personal data by law, in the context of judicial proceedings or at the request of a public or governmental authority, both in your country of residence and abroad. In addition, information about you may be disclosed if such disclosure is deemed necessary or appropriate for national security reasons, to comply with applicable law, or for other important public policy reasons. We may also disclose information about you, but only when there is a legal basis for doing so, if we determine that it is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or to protect our operations or users. This could include providing information to public or government authorities. In addition, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale, some or all of the personal information that has been collected may be transferred to the other party.
Protection of personal data
E21 takes the security of your personal data very seriously. E21’s online services, such as DOSIS, protect your personal data during transit by means of encryption, such as Transport Layer Security (TLS). When E21 stores your personal data, we use computer systems with limited access that are housed in facilities with physical security measures.
When you use certain E21 products, services or applications or post in E21 forums, chat rooms or social networks, the content and personal data you share will be visible to other users, who may read, collect or use it. You will be responsible for the personal data you share or provide in these cases. For example, if you provide your name and email address in a forum post, this information will be in the public domain. It is advisable to be careful when using these features.
Integrity and conservation of personal data
Third Party Websites and Services
E21 websites, products, applications and services may contain links to third party websites, products and services. The products and services may also use or offer products or services of third parties, such as a third party application for DOSIS.
The collection of data by third parties, including data on locations or contact details, will be governed by their respective privacy policies. We recommend that you consult the corresponding privacy policies.
The company-wide commitment to your privacy
To ensure the security of your personal data, privacy and security guidelines are communicated to all E21 employees and appropriate measures are taken to protect privacy within the company.